OIT home > Academics > Transfer Policy

A transfer student is defined as any student who has previously matriculated as a degree candidate at another institution and has earned or is earning college-level academic credit at the undergraduate level.

Students applying for transfer to Olivet University must follow the admission procedures. Official college transcripts from all schools attended must be sent directly from the previously attended college(s) to:

Olivet University
36401 Tripp Flats Rd,
Anza, CA 92539

Coursework transferred or accepted for credit toward any OU degree must be relevant to the degree program, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in this university's own degree programs. In assessing and documenting equivalent learning and qualified faculty, OU personnel consult official institutional catalogs and employ recognized guides which aid in the evaluation for credit.

Such guides include those published by the American Council on Education, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs, or such services as are provided by AACRAO or the World Education Services (WES).

OU accepts transfer credit from other accredited educational institutions subject to the following general criteria:

  • a minimum grade of "C"(or equivalent); courses graded "pass/fail" are not transferred unless it is stipulated on the transcript that a "pass" required a grade of "C" (2.0) or above;
  • Credit is applicable to the OU program of study in which the student intends to enroll.

In order to assist students with curricular planning, the transfer evaluation process must be completed as soon as possible. After enrollment at the university, courses taken at another institution are evaluated for transfer by the Registrar's Office.

Transfer courses are evaluated in the Office of Admissions for acceptance of core curriculum requirements and general elective credit. Transfer credits applied toward major requirements are determined in consultation with the appropriate academic divisions.

Specific Policies

Transfer credit is awarded based on specific requirements:

  • Credit must be awarded from an official college or university transcript, from an official Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test score report, or from an official document considered equivalent to a transcript by the Registrar.
  • Courses taken in a college or university in a continuing education or extension program must be applicable toward the degree being pursued by full-time students at that institution.
  • Only equivalent level course work will be accepted toward their respective degrees.
  • A student who fails to finish by his/her anticipated graduation date may transfer credits necessary to graduate for up to two years afterwards. After two years, the student will be withdrawn automatically from the university, but may petition the Academic Council for permission to complete the degree.
  • Previously awarded transfer credit will be deducted if coursework is repeated.
  • Developmental courses that are similar in content to credit earning courses at Olivet University will be accepted; however, those courses that are not applied toward a degree at the transferring institution will not be accepted.
  • No transfer credit is granted for Certificate programs.
  • Olivet University has not entered into an articulation or transfer agreement with any other college or university.
  • Transfer students with an earned baccalaureate degree from CHEA- or USDE-recognized accredited institutions normally will have the core curriculum requirements for the undergraduate program waived.
  • Courses that are over 10 years old are not transferred directly to Olivet University unless the courses are part of a baccalaureate or associate degree. However, credits that are over 10 years old may be validated by the student's successful completion ("C" or better) of a recent upper level college course in the discipline.
  • Students seeking to transfer credit from institutions outside the United States and Canada are subject to having their transcripts reviewed by a credentials evaluation service as a guide for transfer credit evaluation (see "Transfer Students - Specific Policies" section of this Catalog for more information).

Olivet University reserves the right to notify applicants that they must have their non U.S. academic transcripts evaluated by an academic transcript evaluating agency using a course-by-course report. Olivet prefers that transcripts be evaluated by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). In such cases, credit and placement decisions are based on recommendations of AACRAO. (Credentials evaluation reports are the financial responsibility of the applicant.)